Human Locomotion Research Center
Focus of Work
Investigate physiological characteristics that enable retraining of the nervous system to perform functional tasks.
- Studies range from understanding the plasticity of the spinal cord in humans to examining the secondary health related issues associated with spinal cord injury.
- We focus on retraining the nervous system through activity dependent rehabilitative strategies
- We use multiple strategies:
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation
- Lumbrosacral spinal cord epidural stimulation
- Locomotor training
- We study
- Muscle and bone atrophy
- Cardiovascular function
- Respiratory function
- Bowel and bladder function